Friday, November 14, 2008

Reformation (pt. 2)

"Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God..."

I think I pay attention to Martin Luther, not so much because of the stand he took that helped birth the Reformation, but because of the internal struggles he wrestled with. I am sure that many of us can relate to his experiences, in one fashion or another.

Standing against our internal battles--battles of lust, or fear, or depression, or anger, or doubt--is often much more difficult than standing against an external foe. Perhaps the internal struggle Luther wrestled with for so many years helped prepare him to take his stand that day in 1517.

4 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Really, Martin Luther does actually have, I think, alot of great, even breath taking quotes, but he has some pretty awful ones as well. But that should not diminish at all in my take (while not condoning or watering down the bad) the good of what I did and the servant of God he was.

Yes, I too will concur. My greatest struggles by far have been internal. Of course we live sheltered lives here, now. And I do think God uses these struggles to bring us to a better place in him. And just look at what the psalmists express. Certainly some great struggles (and awful things said) expressed there.

But Luther found an important truth, and even though his exposition can be improved, what he said on that, essentially holds water in bringing us to the truth.

Anonymous said...

rejoice

Anonymous said...

just checking in...hope you are well and doing ok.

Anonymous said...

http://theblogofnancy.blogspot.com/2008/12/dear-blog-friends.html