Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lent in September

Do you observe Lent in any way? I used to not really get the whole fasting thing. For years, I'd give up chocolate each spring as a way of earning brownie points with God. I found this frustrating--I couldn't see why God would care whether or not I had a Snicker's bar in the first place. Then again, I never lasted more than a few days.

Then, not too long ago, a friend told me about how he uses Lent as a time to re-submit himself to God. And, as part of that process, he lays aside anything that might be standing in the way of their relationship. At the end of Lent, he will prayerfully decide whether to bring those things back into his life.

We all know that sometimes hobbies, activities, interests--even really good ones, like attending eight Bible studies a week; or learning Greek, Hebrew, and Latin-- can get in the way of our relationship with our Father in Heaven. I love my recent obsession--er--hobby. Forty days seems like forever. But I think that Lent can't come soon enough for me.

Father, I want to want You. Help me to live in such a way that I never hesitate to follow You. Forgive me for the petty things that I allow to distract me from You each day. Please take these forty days, this tiny sacrifice, and use it to draw me nearer to You.

4 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

The Walk, Good thoughts here. I really would like to understand this whole fasting and Lent thing better. Your post jogs my mind on it. Good to pull back on certain things, prayerfully for a time, just for a time, I believe. God ends up giving back life renewed, as we give to him our life and everything in it.

Thanks for sharing this.

Ted M. Gossard said...

...though we may end up giving up some things for good in the process, to be sure.

John said...

Great post. John Piper wrote a book about fasting called "A Hunger For God." It talks about fasting not in the light of giving up food for a period of time, but about the heart behind the matter. We can fast from anything, but the heart of the matter needs to be to glorify God and to seek to draw near to Him.

Great post. I think we should all challenge ourselves with what we need to give up for a period of time, or a lifetime if necessary, in order to follow God as closely as possible.

Great thoughts.

The Walk said...

Thanks for the comments, john and ted. I've never read anything by John Piper. Guess I should check him out.