Monday, September 3, 2007

Defining Our Mission Fields

I dream of working in an orphanage. I dream of being a second grade teacher. I dream of adopting four--no six--children from Russia, or South America, or Africa. But today I'm a twenty-three year old with too much debt left over from college and an entry-level job, who's mother has very graciously let her live at home and share a room with her younger brother (poor guy).

Tonight I was thinking about how we don't become missionaries for God in ten years, ten months, or ten weeks. 1 Corinthians 12:5 says "There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord."

If we are following Him, we are right where He wants us to be. For me, that means I am a missionary to my friends, my family, the people I work with, the two Mormon missionaries I've been meeting with each Thursday night...As I remember that they are the people God has given me to serve, I am more willing to wash the dishes, take the short lunch break, brush off the comment..."Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet."

What about you? What is your primary mission field?

4 comments:

John said...

Great post. The primary mission field question is a great one to ask. I think about this often. Because I am still in college (albeit my last semester) my primary missions field is to my peers and the younger guys who look up to me. It is also to my roommates who both know God but neither is truly walking. It is also to my own heart, as it needs mending at the current time.

Missions fields change as we go through life, but I think as long as we keep our mission the same (ie seeing God glorified in all things and working to see Him change others), we will be successful, and at the end of the day we will hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Ted M. Gossard said...

Good thoughts and question.

We're certainly to be faithful where we're at, as you well say. And we're to think beyond that to where and what God might be preparing for us, the good works to walk in for others.

I think your thought here is so key in helping us live in God's will in Jesus, and is so often missed with the false idea that we aren't missionaries. All in Jesus are truly on mission in this world, as part of our calling and experience here.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Good question for me to chew on, not to say I'm not busy helping others in their faith....

The Walk said...

Good point, john, that though our mission fields change, the important thing is that our mission stays the same.

Thank you both for your comments. I always enjoy your blogs.