Saturday, April 19, 2008

Invisibility and Being Seen

We all want to be seen for who we are, and loved anyway.
Some people say that the story of the woman at the well is about being seen. Recognized. He wasn't shaming her. He knew who she was, what she'd done...and He treated her with love, kindness, respect.

I hate it when people can't see past my shyness or my old shoes and messy hair. I hate it when they can't see past my limitations.

But this past week I had a meeting with my pastor. I was terrified. I couldn't think. I could barely even talk!

And I was reminded again. It is not just our weaknesses that hide who we are, that make us invisible. Our strengths can blind people to us as well.

4 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

The Walk,
Are you saying here that people can take our strengths for granted and therefore not appreciate the specialness and special person God has made us to be? True. And we can take those things for granted or even despise them, wanting the good we see in someone else that we don't have.

The Walk said...

Envying the good we see in someone else...so true.

I was thinking about how sometimes people fail to really know WHO we are--children of God, with hopes and hurts and stories to tell--because all they notice about us is that we're fat, or old, or in a wheel chair. They overlook our humanity.

Sometimes people treat store clerks or Merry Maids like second class citizens.

What I found interesting about my meeting was that he--my pastor--could see MY humanity just fine. I sat there with dry, cracked hands, and shoes that didn't match my dress...but of course, it wasn't a problem for him. (I mean, he wasn't a jerk or something)...

But I couldn't see past something about HIM. Not his "weaknesses," not the fact that he was missing teeth, or couldn't read...

Was it his title, his position of power, his popularity?

Anonymous said...

good thoughts.

The Walk said...

Thanks