Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Year

There was a guy in my graduating class, Tyler, who was born on February 29th. So he could only celebrate his birthday on his actual birth date once every four years.

Let's see...if I were born on the leap year, I'd have a birthday once every four years...so if I took my age and divided that by four, that would mean I was only 6 years old now!

Youth seems to matter a lot in our society. And yet I learn so much from my older friends--people who've walked the paths I'm still approaching and crossed the bridges I have yet to stumble over.

Like Simeon, Anna, and so many other people in the Bible, it seems as if God often does His greatest work not in confused, enthusiastic young people, but in the quiet faithful work of those who are often overlooked by society.

This is the day, every four years when, without fail, I find myself imagining "What would it be like if I were younger?"

But today I also wanted to take a moment to imagine "What would it be like if I were older?" I am blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful examples of amazing godly people--from the young retirees at my church to my frail grandmother. I hope that as I grow I will continue to have many opportunities to learn from people like them.

8 comments:

preacherman said...

I don't know the answer to the question. I think it would stink to have a birthday on the 29th of Feb.
Great post and thoughts.
I hope you have a blessed weekend.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Great thoughts here, as always. Yes, we can learn much from those who have walked the walk longer than we have. Even at 52 I wish I knew an older guy who I could be open with and learn from. I know someone at work I wish this could happen with, over at RBC Ministries- at least one guy, but I know he's too busy and life is too busy for us all. But glad you have that in your life, and the wisdom from God to see it.

But we can learn from you younger people as well! Don't underestimate how God can use you, either, as part of the one Body in Jesus. :)

preacherman said...

I want you to know that I have been praying for you today and hope you have a wonderful week in our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Walk said...

preacherman, that means SO much to me. I really needed that. Blessings.

The Walk said...

Thank you for your comments, Ted and preacherman.

Yes, it seems like business is a big challenge for all of us these days. Sometimes I've noticed that even when I have a moment to unwind, my mind is still running in all directions.

I guess what's really important is that we do have those people, older or younger, who we are connecting with and growing from. And that we are taking the time to be still...now there's a real challenge!

preacherman said...

I had so much fun on the 29th.
It seemed to go too fast though.
I hope you have a blessed week in the Lord.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

rebecca said...

hi I am rather new to your blog and I am curious how you found mine.


becky

The Walk said...

Hi, Becky. Thanks so much for stopping by! I actually have no clue how I found your blog. I was probably procrastinating over one thing or another, and a click here, and a click there, and there I was. Good blog, though!