Saturday, January 26, 2008

Ritual

Preacherman has an interesting discussion going at his blog on ritual in the Christian faith. If you haven't had the chance, stop by and join in!

His post spurred some thinking in me about how I have seen ritual applied to my own life and the lives of those around me.

I think that rituals can be a form of prayer, an act of worship. Don't many close couples have rituals and traditions they follow within their marriages?

Interacting with God is a funny thing. While Jesus was on earth, He was given gifts of gold and tears. I think God has an affinity for unusual gifts given in the right spirit.

And I think that if we check ourselves, most of us would have things in our lives that some might consider "rituals" or "traditions"--little things that remind us of God in unique ways.

-I know a man who sometimes wears a watch with several alarms. If he knows he's going to be in a situation where he might forget to honor God--maybe he's getting together with a buddy who has a tendency to put others down or something--he'll set the alarm for that time. The alarm reminds him to honor God.

-Since I was a small child, whenever I see an emergency vehicle with flashing lights, I'll pray for the people involved. The emergency vehicle is like a Call to Prayer.

-I sometimes kneel when I pray because it helps me to acknowledge God as holy, helps me to focus...it is my way of expressing love or gratitude or even neediness to my Savior.

-Sometimes when I'm really struggling in my relationship with God, when I have drifted far or feel empty inside, I return to the empty field where Christ became real to me when I was 12. The tall weeds make rashes on my legs. It's usually way too hot. And there I will pray.

God is so holy, so awesome, so other...sometimes all we can do is tremble in His presence. And He sometimes brings us such joy...we might find ourselves dancing in our underwear like David.

Sometimes we find ourselves lighting candles, and sometimes we sing. What about you? Do you have rituals or traditions that have helped you on your journey?

4 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

The Walk,
I think rituals have their place, though I was raised in the Christian faith to think that they're empty in themselves, or that's how I interpreted it. But really everyone has a ritual, as in a practice of how they do something.

I think it's a part of spirit and body joined together, body reflecting or expressing something of one's heart or commitment to another. As in me kissing Deb before I walk out the door. Saying, "I love you." Kneeling as you mention is good. Etc.

I do need to get over on Preacherman's blog and check out that conversation. Have been tired lately, so my blogging has been weak in getting on other's blogs.

I do think rituals can be empty. But I also think they can express something good within us. Like when I was younger, never going anywhere without at least a New Testament in my pant's pocket. To this day I really like to have a Bible handy, though I've learned better how to depend on God to help me, so that it's fine for me, if I don't have one handy.

Well, you've opened up another good matter to think on, The Walk. Thanks for your good words here.

preacherman said...

Great thoughts both of you.
I want to thank you for continuing the discussion.
I have been blessed by your comment on my blog as well your current post.
You make wonderful points.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

The Walk said...

It is definitely important to check ourselves--are we engaging in a ritual as a way of drawing near to God? or is it ritual for ritual's sake? Or to look religious?

Good thoughts. Thanks for the comments.

preacherman said...

I believe we must never forget it is all about the heart. Jesus added the heart to the law as we see on the Sermon on the Mount. When God chose a king for Israel he looked at the heart. He desires us to submit our hearts to become more and more like His each and every day whether or not it is through ritual, habit, tradition, meditation. It is all and should all be about glorifing God.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry