Saturday, December 29, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

Yesterday my brother "G" and I were waiting for a prescription at Walgreens. We were at the front of a long line of people, waiting as the kind pharmasist talked with my insurance company. It took a long time. I was one of those customers you don't want to be stuck behind.

G collapsed onto the ground. "Pick me up," he demanded.

"You're a big boy. You can get up."

"Am I strong?"

"Yes."

"Who's the strongest? Is God the strongest?"

"Yes. God is the strongest."

G considered this for a moment as he gazed at his feet above him. I noticed that the rest of the line had grown strangely silent.

"Does God keep us on the ground?"

"Well...God made gravity," and I began to explain the basics of Newton and his apple, and how there was less gravity on the moon, so you could sort of float a little there. If only I'd taken physics!

Before I'd dug myself into too deep a hole, the pharmasist came to the counter. "I'm pleased to say, your prescription went through. It comes to a total of $67."

I began writing my check when I felt a tug on my sleeve. "Does everyone die?"

"For the most part," I said, focused on my writing.

"DOES EVERYONE DIE??? WHEN WILL I DIE?????"

"That's a very important question. We'll talk about it in just a minute," I said.

And, with a few titters from the line and most people trying hard not to look at us, we left discussing death, Jesus' second return, and the plan of salvation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post! :-)

The Walk said...

Thanks for stopping by. =)

Ted M. Gossard said...

The Walk,
Neat.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

The Walk said...

Thanks, Ted.

Happy New Year =)